Once again, ship life has been kind of uneventful. The weather has been so beautiful so everyone just lays out like usual :) :) Everyone on the ship takes a class called global studies. We had a global studies exam yesterday so uptil then everyone was cramming for that. I studied a ton because I bombed the last one.
The other day we crossed the equator! This means I am on the southern hemisphere which means its officially summer for us - even though it has felt like summer for the last month anyway. But, on ships, the day you cross the equator is called Neptune Day. Neptune day for us was Saturday so we didn’t have class. We were woken up by the crew dressed up in like warrior gear banging drums and chanting. Then, we went up to the 7th deck and went though ‘initiation’. Basically, fake fish guts were poured on us, we jump in the pool, and then we kiss a fish. It was a stupid little fun activity. The rest of the day was devoted to the head shavings. It is a tradition for people to shave their heads on Neptune day. Believe it or not about half of the 100 or so people that shaved their heads were girls. If the girls hair was long enough then it would be donated to locks of love. I did not shave my head because I am still trying to make new friends and look for my future husband. Shaving my head would have stopped me from doing both of those things. Some of the girls can pull off the bald look but others kind of creep me out. It took balls though, I will give them that.
That afternoon I took a nap and had a weird dream/nightmare that there were weird bald people walking around in the next port. Then, when I woke up I was totally freaked out that so many people had shaved heads.
We will be in Mauritius tomorrow. Mauritius is a small island, about 30 miles long, between India and Africa right next to Madagascar. It is suppose to be a very cultural island so I think it’ll be sweet. We are only there for one night and two days. My plan is to rent a bike with some friends and explore. I hope to find some water falls and other cool stuff. The second day I hope to go snorkeling in the morning and maybe to this sweet zip line park in the afternoon.
That is all for now, sorry for the delay on the India blog entry! Feel free to keep emailing me because I have a lot of time between ports from here on out. 63 days down, 43 days to go! Its so bitter sweet its not even funny.
Tomorrow is my sister’s birthday and friday is my brother’s birthday. It is crazy that we are all in different countries, and continents, right now! I love you Mallory and Gregory hope you both have great birthdays!!!!!
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment